Canadian Martyrs Catholic Church – Church Bulletin
27th Sunday in Ordinary Time – Oct 7, 2012
Year of Faith Pope Benedict XVI has designated a Year of Faith from Oct 11, 2012 to Nov 24, 2013 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Second Vatican Council and the 20th year anniversary of the issue of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
* During this year, our Archbishop has also asked us to pray the Prayer for Evangelization:-
"God, who wills that all should be saved and come to the knowledge of truth, pour out your Spirit upon us and grant that we may respond zealously to your urgent call to lead back to the Church those who have strayed. Prepare their hearts and minds to be receptive to the saving Gospel of your Son. Send us as workers to gather in your abundant harvest, so that all your people, obedient to the Word and sustained by the power of the Sacraments, may advance in the way of salvation and love. Through Christ our Lord. Amen"
* Archbishop Miller will have a special Opening Mass on Oct 7 (Sunday), 2:30 p.m. at Holy Rosary Cathedral. Everyone is welcome.
* "YOUCAT" is a catechism in color which is recommended by our Archbishop to everyone to consolidate our faith this year. Pope Benedict XVI in its preface wrote invite you: Study this Catechism! This is my heartfelt desire ..... study this Catechism with passion and perseverance.? It is available in our gift shop at $12.
* "Magnificat Year of Faith Companion" is a one page daily meditation to nourish your soul. It is available now at $5 each in our gift shop.
ROSARY October is the month of the Rosary. You are invited to say Rosary together. Please come 25 minutes before every Sunday Masses (except 8:15 a.m.).
-Parish goal: $168,000, of which $39,000 goes to the Archdiocese and $129,000 for debt repayment.
-Suggestion: $432 for each family or $36/month for 12 months.
1. Take a pocket flyer home; or
2. Go online www.rcav.org.
-Pledge up to-date: $143,000 (85.12%)
Every gift makes a difference - every gift counts.
Parish theme for October ~ "Apostle - St. Jude"
* Son of Jacob. He is called "Thaddeus" in Matthew & Mark Gospel.
* Luke called him ?Judas, the son of James?
* Jude (Hebrew/English) = Judas (Greek).
* Judas Thaddeus and Judas Iscariot (the betrayer) have the same first name. It is custom to refer Judas Thaddeus by using his English transliteration, whereas Iscariot is referred to Judas in its Greek transliteration.
* Most likely St. Jude was not the author of the Epistle of Jude even though it bears his name.
* He preached at Palestine, Osroene, Armenia & Iran.
* Martyred together with St. Simon around AD66.
* St. Jude is depicted carrying the image of Jesus in his hand or close to his chest. It tells a legend that a king with sickness sent his envoy to Jesus to ask for healing. The envoy saw Jesus and painted the image of Jesus and went home. The king was cured on seeing the image. St. Jude was later sent there to preach the Gospel.
* Patron Saint of desperate cases.
* Feast day: Oct 28.
Catholics Come Home In general, only 1 in 5 Catholics come to Sunday Mass. To reach out to them, the archdiocese will launch a TV campaign in December. A second collection will be taken next week to support it.
REMEMBRANCE OF ALL SOULS November is the month to remember all our departed family members, brothers & sisters and friends. Please pick the "All Souls Day Remembrance" envelopes and drop into the collection basket during mass or return to parish office. One mass per envelope will be offered except indicated.
The Catholic Forum invites you to explore the topic: "Vatican II - Year of Faith" with guest speaker, Archbishop Miller, on Oct 16 (Tue) at 7:00 p.m. at St. Mary's Church, 5251 Joyce St., Vancouver. For further info, contact Dr. Paul Ungar at 604-588-5696.
Archbishop's Dinner will be held on Oct 25 (Thu) at Hyatt Regency Van. for evangelization work. Ticket at $150 each. Order forms are available at www.rcav.org/dinner2012. Please support this important ministry.
"Man Alive" a Vancouver Catholic Men's Conference will be held on Oct 27 (Sat) at Centre of Performing Arts. Tickets available from Knights of Columbus. Seats are limited, early bird special $35 each, student at $25 each. Please contact Michael at 778-834-3333 or Francis at 604-765-3121 for details.
University Students' Mass in the Year of Faith Archbishop J. Michael Miller, CSB, cordially invites university and college students to the anticipated Sunday Mass at the Holy Rosary Cathedral on Oct 20 (Sat), at 7:30 p.m. Confessions start at 6:30 p.m.